Thursday, January 16, 2014

Low iodine diet - day 15

This is the last full day of the low iodine diet.  I remember thinking on day two that this day seemed so far off... I'm glad it's finally here.

Last night ended up being a "yo-yo" dinner.  ("You're on your own")  However, one of the kids did cut up a tomato for me, marinated in olive oil with a bit of shallot and garlic.  It was so good.  I used my homemade bread to soak up the olive oil.  That was dinner and it was plenty!  (Well, that and a glass of wine!)

This is also the day after I received the RAI (radioactive iodine.)  I've had no ill effects from the treatment.
I'm a bit concerned because I have sore spots on either side of my neck below my ears.  It could be that lymph nodes in that area have some of the thyroid cancer cells that have spread.  It could also be nothing, so I don't want to lose sleep over worrying about it.  My scan next week will tell the tale.

So, breakfast this morning - same old... scrambled egg whites and homemade bread, toasted.  Haven't made a decision about lunch or dinner yet.  I do have to make sure I drink plenty of fluids, so I haven't been terribly hungry.

Once I've made a meal plan with my son that will do the cooking, I'll let you know what the decision was for dinner.

Lunch is fresh cut veggies with lemon olive oil drizzled over.  A rice cake with my doctored up peanut butter, sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon.  It's very tasty.  We decided dinner will just be some roasted chicken breast and a side of either boiled potatoes or baked sweet potatoes.

Tomorrow morning I have to get a blood test as follow up to the RAI.  After the blood test I have no obligation to stay on this diet.  I was going to stop at the nearest coffee shop for a latte, then decided how silly that was - the lattes and mochas I make at home taste so much better!  I can wait long enough to make the drive home....

No comments: